Friday, October 3, 2008

What?

OK. I've been away from my blog for a bit, so I am going to briefly address a few different issues.

First, last night's Biden/Pailn debate. She was incredible. Literally, as in not-credible. She looked and sounded like a candidate for president...of the student council. I expected her to start handing out candy bars with "Vote for Sarah" on the label. Honestly, I can't wait for her to go home to Alaska, ya know? (Wink, wink, you betcha.)

Second, the Dow Jones Industrial Average is now LOWER than when Bush took office. As I've written before, if historical averages applied over the past eight years, the DJIA would be about 19,000 right now. Last week, as the market anticipated the huge bailout/rescue bill the market surged. When it failed in House the Dow dropped 777 points. So, you'd think today, when the House finally did pass the bill, the market would go up, right? Nope. Down about 200 points. Go figure.

Third, John McCain. This guy has spent the last two weeks like Robin Williams on speed. He's so erratic he makes a pinball machine look like a linear accelerator. I don't know what that means, but you get the drift. There hasn't been a temperament this unpresidential since George W. Bush. Uh-oh.

Fourth, the electoral map is looking better and better for Obama. Good thing. I don't want to have to sell my house in this market. Maybe I won't have to move to Canada after all.

Finally, Sarah Palin again. Why is it that so many people want a president just like them: not too smart, not too well educated, parochial, and, based on her interview with Katie Couric, not very well read? If people think someone just like them -- your average hockey mom, for example -- can run the United States of America, then maybe they don't have a grip on what the job requires. Me? I want the wisest, smartest, best educated, worldly, thoughtful person I can find. We tried dumb and dumber for the past eight years. It doesn't work.

No comments: